Thursday, September 17, 2015

New literacies as a social practice 9/17/15

Having grown up at the beginning of the “internet era” I remember a time before instant gratification. While I certainly had access to online resources from about the time I was in middle school, the internet, and digital literacies were not engrained in education like it is today. For the most part, I remember using hard copies of text throughout high school, and no teacher expected that students utilize the internet to compile information, or even submit assignments. By the time I arrived at college in 2005 the paradigm had certainly began to shift and by the time I graduated in 2009, the Web 2.0 was becoming a staple of education at both the secondary, and post-secondary level. I mention this because I am grateful for the opportunity to have been able to live, at least part of my life, during the era before new literacies and technologic fluency began to dominate education. The experience allowed me to be more intentional and careful when learning, and I was not tempted by the instant gratification that seems to plague our society today. What strikes me most when working with my students, and trying to actively promote “Education 2.0” is how careless they can be with technology, and despite the internet being a hugely powerful tool, how often they use it incorrectly. I would argue that because they are not always careful, their misuse of the internet further inhibits their literacy on multiple levels. That said, I do recognize “that there can be different literacies in different domains of life” (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p. 9). While many of my students may have trouble accessing and utilizing online information correctly, they are certainly more literate when it comes to navigating new technology, and becoming familiar with operating systems.


“In a rapidly developing technological environment, it is often not possible for the teacher to be the possessor of all knowledge…run up against this issue common in an environment where technological development is fast-paced and initially at least, demands knowledge and skills beyond which all teachers have” (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p. 21). I find this to be a fascinating issue and one, which speaks to digital literacies in realms beyond the education model. As technology continues to exponentially improve, how do we has humans hope to understand it all when once we feel literate with one technology, another comes along rendering the former obsolete? The challenge for educators seems even more pertinent: how do we was teachers begin to shift from being masters to facilitators, and “what are the consequences for pedagogic practices when: (iii) well-tried approaches to assessment become less appropriate to digital literacies?” (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p. 20). I’m not sure exactly how to begin to answer these profound questions, but I believe if those of us who began our journey before digital literacies exploded in the Web 2.0 era have anything to contribute to the conversation it’s a reminder to slow down, be deliberate, and mindful that instant gratification is not always the best, or most logical approach.

3 comments:

  1. Evan,

    I really enjoyed reading your journal entry because I could relate to the discussion of instant gratification. I grew up before the internet era as well, and didn't begin to have online access until Middle School. When I first began teaching 3 years ago, I had no idea how to use a Smart Board. We never had these in our rooms when we were younger, and at first I didn't want anything to do with them. I was uncomfortable because I didn't know how to change my lesson plans to accommodate this new technology. I grew up with teachers writing on the board and using projectors for a classroom tool. The student's were my teachers when it came to learning how to use the Smart Board and utilizing its information. I felt as though I couldn't keep up with them. However, I didn't understand how much the Smart Board could benefit the students and myself. I now have learned over the years that these new technological advances are a wonderful tool to have in the classroom, and how beneficial they can be to the overall learning environment.

    That being said, I completely agree that because of the new technology being used not only in school but in our student's lives, instant gratification is something that the children demand. They are advancing far beyond the technology that is available. They seem to want more and get discouraged if anything seems harder than it should be. Many of my students in middle school get a little cranky when I make them take handwritten notes. They don't understand why they cannot type the notes into their I-pad or download the notes that I will put on my website. I feel the need to keep my students grounded and remind them that technology cannot do everything for them. However I wonder if this will change in the future.

    I feel the best approach is to continue to reap the benefits of new technology and all it has to offer, but also to remind our students that we need to take a step back every once in a while and think for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,

    I also agree with your post, that a life of technological instant gratification may be a downfall for our students. Having grown up in an age, when we used encyclopedias and the Dewey decimal system to find books in the library, it is a bit disheartening to see the road our students currently take. They have become so use to information being at their fingertips, they are careless and not always willing to double check themselves and/or their sources. As educators, it is important that we not just allow our students to be let lose and become lost in technology, but learn to build a healthy relationship with this tool.

    You also asked how, "we as humans hope to understand it all when once we feel literate with one technology, another one comes along..." I believe this to be a long-term struggle for educators. When I came to my school, I asked my principal if I should get a grade book. She chuckled and told me that attendance is taken through an online system called Jupiter Grades, which I have come to love. However, just as I got use to Jupiter Grades and posting assignments there, an email came from the principal, introducing us to Google classrooms. Another tool she thought would be helpful for us in the class and help bring more technology into the classroom. And as technology changes, or increases, for us as educators, we must also share this with our students. New literacies is kind of a gift and a curse, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan,

    I also agree with your post, that a life of technological instant gratification may be a downfall for our students. Having grown up in an age, when we used encyclopedias and the Dewey decimal system to find books in the library, it is a bit disheartening to see the road our students currently take. They have become so use to information being at their fingertips, they are careless and not always willing to double check themselves and/or their sources. As educators, it is important that we not just allow our students to be let lose and become lost in technology, but learn to build a healthy relationship with this tool.

    You also asked how, "we as humans hope to understand it all when once we feel literate with one technology, another one comes along..." I believe this to be a long-term struggle for educators. When I came to my school, I asked my principal if I should get a grade book. She chuckled and told me that attendance is taken through an online system called Jupiter Grades, which I have come to love. However, just as I got use to Jupiter Grades and posting assignments there, an email came from the principal, introducing us to Google classrooms. Another tool she thought would be helpful for us in the class and help bring more technology into the classroom. And as technology changes, or increases, for us as educators, we must also share this with our students. New literacies is kind of a gift and a curse, I guess.

    ReplyDelete