Friday, October 2, 2015

Blogging and Other Social Media in the Classroom

I feel as though blogging is a terrific tool for teachers, especially writing teachers, to utilize in their classroom. It provides an opportunity for students to write without the constraints of academic formality while developing important skills. In addition, typing allows students to more quickly get their thoughts on the page and reference material. "I notice that I have more good thoughts when I'm on the internet, clicking on stuff is more efficient than writing. I can get to everything I want on the Internet. If I click on WikipediaI can get to what I want." (p.30). Blogging also promotes the intellectual curiosity that is referenced in this excerpt. While online, information is just one click away, thus opening a portal to a vast amount of knowledge. I've personally found that blogging is less daunting for students, as well. The thought of writing a formal paper is hard for students to digest, but often times when asked to write the same amount, or more, on a blog there is less pushback. 

Where I found myself disagreeing with some of the methodology in the reading was the inclusion of social media in the classroom. I think student/teacher communication through social media sets a dangerous precedent, and is unprofessional at best. In my experience I've found no academic benefit from bringing it into the classroom, and any communication that can be achieved through social media, can be channeled through email, google docs, or blogs. "... I'll text you  Ms. DJ, we can talk more when I get home." (p.30). In this instance I feel as though the teacher is walking a dangerous line between what is professional, and what isn't. In recent years we have seen an explosion of inappropriate relationships between teacher and student, and most begin on social media. The fact that this interaction lives online forever, and can be misconstrued by any number of people who chose to visit your page is very scary. We as teachers must remember that as valuable as technology and new media is to our practice, there is still a level of professionalism that we must uphold and must be sensitive to. I would argue that texting and social media messaging blurs that line, and can lead to some dangerous stuff. The intent of the teacher can be totally genuine and innocent, but all it takes is one person to misinterpret something, and there can be great legal ramifications or consequences. I often cringe when I see my coworkers communicating with our students via text, or social media. In the rapidly changing world of new media, we must be careful who we grant access to our social media profiles. I feel as though there is nothing that cannot be accomplished through other technological means, that would invite the inclusion of social media in the classroom. I understand the effort to connect with kids on a more personal level, I just feel the potential negatives outweigh the positives. 



Lankshear, C., & Knobel, M. (Eds.). (2013). New Literacies Reader: Educational Perspectives (pp. 23- 56). United States: Peter Lang Publishing.

1 comment:

  1. Evan,

    Great second paragraph. I see this all the time in the high school, and it is a problem. Many times teachers will tell students to "check out my Instagram for pictures from the classroom" or "Look at Twitter for the Homework". I understand as educators we are trying to catch up to this rapidly changing technology, but that seems too far. Posting assignments to social media can be done much easier on a blog or an email. I can understand if a student would want to connect or become friends with you once they have graduated and moved on from the high school, and personally I am fine with that. But when a student friends you during their years there, it can lead to a more dangerous interaction. Also, the student is able to see any information you put on your social networks, something that can also be dangerous. Teachers do need to change with the times, but they need to be careful when they do it.

    ReplyDelete